Monday, May 18, 2009

How do I notate the sheet music I compose?

Notating sheet music can be done with very cheap tools. I suggest that you start writing on paper the way that composers have done for centuries. It is cheap and it is an effective exercise to use a pencil and writing the various sheet music symbols by hand.

Very often I myself jot down musical ideas on ordinary white paper after drawing five lines by hand. Sometimes one bar at a time. It works fine if you can't find your manuscript paper.

You can buy manuscript paper for sheet music or print out your favorite format on the site http://www.blanksheetmusic.net

There are also much music notation software on the market. Here are a few examples:
  1. Sibelius. This is the music notation software I use nowadays. It is a bit expensive but I like the easy way it works. There is a cheaper version of the program called Sibelius Student. You can find information about the programs at sibelius.com
  2. Finale. This is also an expensive program used by a lot of composers. You can also find cheaper music notation software at their site finalemusic.com
You can download demo versions of the programs if you want to test how the programs work and you will have a chance to feel which program works best for you!

No comments: